Joe Biden has had a long and successful career as a politician. Here are some of the top 10 secrets about him that you may not know:
1. He was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, but moved to Delaware when he was ten years old. His mother used to tell him stories about Scranton and it has held a special place in his heart ever since.
2. Biden attended the University of Delaware and Syracuse Law School where he graduated with honors in 1968.
3. Following law school, he became involved in professional politics, serving on the New Castle County Council from 1970-1972 before launching his first campaign for U.S Senate in 1972 at age 29—making him one of the youngest Senators ever elected at the time.
4. Biden is a Roman Catholic and has credited his faith as the cornerstone of his political career.
5. He was considered one of the most influential foreign policy makers in Washington throughout much of his career, particularly during his tenure as Vice President under Obama from 2009-2017.
6. In 2018, he released his memoir “Promise Me, Dad: A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose” documenting some of the tragedies he faced alongside success during that period including the death of son Beau Biden from brain cancer in 2015.
7. During this same period, Biden spearheaded a campaign to end sexual assault on college campuses called “It’s On Us.”
8. Biden is a long-time supporter of the LGBT community and was one of the first senators to support same sex marriage in 1996.
9. He created the Biden Cancer Initiative in 2017 which focuses on accelerating cancer research, improving patient care and access, and creating awareness about cancer prevention.
10. In 2020, Biden accepted his party’s nomination for President of the United States after defeating a crowded field of primary candidates. He will face incumbent Donald Trump in November’s general election.