Real Madrid Club de Fútbol, commonly known as Real Madrid, or simply as Real, is a professional football club based in Madrid, Spain. The club was formed in 1902 as Madrid Football Club, and played its first official game in November 1902. Madrid won the 1957–58 European Cup, which was their first international title. The club played its first ever competitive match in 1902 against Arenas Club de Getxo.
Real Madrid also reached the final of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1962 which they played against Eintracht Frankfurt but lost 2–1. Winners of the European Cup in 1974 and 1986, they reached the competition’s final for the third time in 2005, becoming the first club ever to do so. They also became the first team to retain their European crown by winning their fourth title in the 2007–08 season. They also lifted the Spanish Cup in 1957 and 2007. The Liga championship titles in 1936, 1954, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2016 and 2017. With their first professional club kit supplied by Adidas.
In terms of international football trophies won overall, Real Madrid are the most successful club in the world. The club has been involved in some of Europe’s major football competitions ever since its inception in 1902. It is one of three founding members of La Liga that have never been relegated from the top division.The following 10 secrets about Real Madrid may surprise you
1. The Santiago Bernabéu Stadium is one of the most iconic and well-known football stadiums in the world. It has been the home of Real Madrid since 1947 and can seat up to 81,044 spectators.
2. The club was founded in 1902 as Madrid Football Club, and originally played its home matches at the Corral de Blanco before moving to the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in 1947.
3. Real Madrid has won a record 33 La Liga titles, 19 Copa del Rey trophies, 10 European Cups/Champions Leagues and 3 UEFA Super Cups. They are also the current holders of the FIFA Club World Cup.
4. The club’s legendary players include Alfredo Di Stéfano, Ferenc Puskás, Hugo Sánchez, Raúl González and Cristiano Ronaldo.
5. The club’s bitter rivals are Barcelona, and the two teams compete in the El Clásico match which is one of the most anticipated fixtures in world football.
6. The Santiago Bernabéu Stadium has hosted numerous high-profile events including the final of the 1982 FIFA World Cup and the 1998 UEFA Champions League Final.
7. Real Madrid’s academy, La Fabrica, is renowned for producing some of the world’s best players such as Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Raúl González.
8. The club is owned by a holding company called Real Madrid Club de Fútbol SAD which is listed on the Spanish stock exchange.
9. The current president of Real Madrid is Florentino Pérez who was first elected in 2000.
10. Real Madrid’s official website is one of the most popular sports websites in the world with over 4 million unique visitors per month.