Moose are large mammals found in the northern parts of North America, Europe and Asia. While they may seem like gentle giants, there are some interesting aspects about them that many people don’t know about. Here are 10 secrets about moose:
1. Moose are the largest members of the deer family and can weigh up to 1,800 lbs!
2. They have hollow hairs on their body called guard hairs which help keep them warm during winter months.
3. Moose shed their antlers each year and then re-grow new ones annually.
4. Unlike other animals such as horses or deer, moose cannot jump very high but they can swim swiftly in water at a speed of up to 6 mph!
5. Moose are herbivores and consume a variety of plants, including bark from trees and aquatic plants such as lilies in the summertime.
6. They have excellent hearing and can hear low-frequency sounds up to 10 km away!
7. In some cultures, moose antlers are used for medicine or spiritual practices due to their strength-giving qualities.
8. Moose are solitary animals that only form herds during mating season in September and October.
9. The life span of a moose is about 15 to 25 years with most living between 15 to 20 years old in the wild.
10. A group of moose is known as a herd, or gang depending on the size!
These secrets about moose just scratch the surface of how amazing these animals are. If you ever get a chance, be sure to take the time to observe them in their natural habitat and appreciate this majestic creature!