Jay-Z was born on Dec. 4, 1969 in Brooklyn, New York City . He knew he wanted to be a rapper at the age of 11 after his aunt gave him money so she could see him perform at a rap concert. However, there were many obstacles along the way that Jay-Z had to overcome before achieving his dream of becoming a successful rapper. At the age of 12, he became addicted to cocaine. Eventually, it took over his life and caused him to lose many jobs and temporarily cause the break down of his marriage with his ex-wife , singer Beyonce Knowles.
10. Even though he had some serious legal problems back in 2001, he still managed to go on and perform at the MTV Video Music Awards as if nothing happened.
9. Just like millions of other people around the world, Jay-Z has an iPod filled with thousands of different songs on it. He even claims that all his songs together only constitute less than 5% of his total music collection.
8. Despite writing lyrics that often reveal his criminal side and gangster life growing up, Jay-Z says that gangster rap is just a movie that he sees in his mind and that the stories do not come from his own personal experiences.
7. In 2008, Jay-Z became an ordained minister so he could marry model, singer Beyonce Knowles to longtime boyfriend, rapper Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter.
6. He says that one of his biggest fears is being broke and homeless again, which is why he has set up a system where the royalties from his music will go directly to him for life. This means no matter how many albums he sells in the future, or what happens with copyright laws, Jay-Z will ALWAYS be getting paid.
5. While on tour in Australia back in 2010, Jay Z was forced to postpone three shows after he was hospitalized for a serious illness that caused him to lose his voice. He is grateful for modern medicine saving him because he says that things could have ended very differently if he was around back in the days of Mozart.
4. Jay Z always makes sure to get the proper amount of sleep before having to perform, and always tries to avoid large amounts of stress when possible. This is why he has learned to stay calm when other people around him are losing their minds .
3. On top of being one of the most successful rappers in history, Jay-Z also helped in creating the clothing line Rocawear along with his childhood friends, Damon Dash and Jude Lewis back when they were still teenagers growing up in Brooklyn.
2. Jay Z claims that his reason for being so successful is because he only has the best at everything around him , which means having to get rid of people who are not cutting it. He also says that although this may be a terrible way to live, at least he knows he will always have the best of everything.
1. Almost all of Jay-Z’s success in life can be attributed to the fact that he surrounds himself with talented people and stays away from those who stand in his way .