Sergio Perez’s career in Formula One began with Sauber in 2011 and he has since driven for McLaren, Force India, Racing Point, and Red Bull. Throughout his time in F1, the Mexican driver has established himself as one of the sport’s most consistent drivers. He is known for his remarkable powers of concentration and a unique ability to find grip where others can’t. Here are the top 10 secrets about Sergio Perez and his success in Formula One:
- He is recognized as one of the most consistent drivers in F1, having finished on the podium nine times since joining the sport in 2011.
- His ability to find grip on slick tyres has earned him the nickname ‘The Checo Phenom.’
- He is the first Mexican driver to have won a Formula One race, after he triumphed at the Sakhir Grand Prix in 2020.
- Perez has been nicknamed ‘The Safety Car King’ due to his ability to make the most out of a safety car period, often getting past multiple cars and into points-scoring positions when others cannot.
- He is an avid gamer and has a Twitch channel where he often plays with other F1 drivers, such as Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
- Perez is very passionate about his home country of Mexico and regularly promotes Mexican culture in the F1 paddock.
- His impressive powers of concentration have been used to great effect on the track, allowing him to make up time on tyre management and long stints.
- He is well-known for his daring overtaking manoeuvres, often making it into the top 10 with audacious late braking moves.
- Despite being a popular driver in the F1 paddock, Perez often stays out of the limelight in order to focus on his racing.
- His nickname ‘The Checo’ is a combination of his first name, Sergio, and the Spanish word for friend, Amigo.
Perez’s talents have earned him the respect of some of F1’s greatest drivers, including seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton who has praised Perez for being a strong competitor throughout his career. Sergio Perez continues to be an exciting driver on the F1 grid and is sure to achieve greater success in the future.