Lion King Simba is one of the most popular and well-known Disney characters of all time. But there are a few things about Simba that even diehard fans might not know. Here are the top 10 secrets about Lion King Simba:
1. Simba was not originally supposed to be the protagonist of The Lion King. In early drafts of the film, Mufasa’s evil brother Scar was the main character.
2. The original story for The Lion King included a much darker ending, with Simba being killed by Scar and his body left to rot in the sun. Thankfully, the filmmakers decided against this morbid ending and gave Simba a happy ending instead.
3. The voice of young Simba was provided by Jason Weaver, who also sang “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” in the film.
4. Matthew Broderick was originally considered to provide the voice of adult Simba, but ultimately lost out to Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
5. The voice of Scar was provided by Jeremy Irons, who won an Academy Award for his performance in the film.
6. In the original script, Timon and Pumbaa were not included as characters. They were added later on at the request of director Roger Allers, who felt that the film needed some comic relief.
7. “Hakuna Matata” is not actually a real Swahili phrase. It was made up by the filmmakers and has no literal meaning.
8. “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” was originally going to be included in the film, but was ultimately cut due to licensing issues.
9. The character of Rafiki was originally going to be a female baboon, but was changed to a male mandrill at the last minute.
10. The Lion King was the first Disney animated film to receive a PG rating from the Motion Picture Association of America.