“With a record of 5 Super Bowls, 13 Conference Championships and 14 Playoff appearances, the San Francisco 49ers have produced some of the best players in NFL history. The most recent Hall-of-Famer is Jerry Rice, who held every significant receiving record when he retired after the 2004 season.”
The Best Player Of San Francisco 49ers In My Heart
1. Joe Montana – “Joe Cool” was drafted by the Niners in 1979 and played for them until his retirement 1993. He led them to four Super Bowl victories (1982, 1985, 1989 and 1990). In 1995 he was inducted into Pro Football’s Hall of Fame.
2. Steve Young – After being traded from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a king’s ransom ( round picks in ’96 and ’97 and a first round pick in ’98), Young became one of the most prolific passers in NFL history. He was league MVP while leading the 49ers to Super Bowl XXIX.
3. Ronnie Lott – The Hall-of-Famer is considered by many the greatest safety in football history, he played both cornerback and safety during his 14-year career with San Francisco (1981-1990) and later on also for the New York Jets (1991) and Los Angeles Raiders (1992).
4. Jerry Rice – One of the most gifted wide receivers to play the game, Rice spent 16 years in San Francisco establishing himself as arguably one of the three best players ever at his position along with Don Hutson and Steve Largent.
5. Leo Nomellini – A 1950’s All-Pro defensive tackle, he anchored one of the best defenses in football during his decade with the 49ers (1950–59). He was inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1969.
6. Roger Craig – The first player ever to rush for 1,000 yards and catch 100 passes in a season, spent 11 seasons in San Francisco (1983–1993), helping them win Super Bowl XXIV when he rushed for 70 yards and caught 7 passes for 77 yards while scoring 2 touchdowns.
7. Jimmy Johnson – The greatest kicker ever to play the game, Johnson played 19 seasons (1981-1998) for San Francisco at that time becoming the longest tenured 49er in team history. He was inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2009.
8. Dwight Clark – A wide receiver, kicker and special teams player during his 13 seasons with the 49ers (1979-1991), he is best remembered for his iconic reception of a pass from Joe Montana that gave them a last minute victory in Super Bowl XVI against Cincinnati Bengals.
9. Bob St. Clair – An offensive lineman who played in San Francisco from 1951 until 1964, he was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1990.
10. Eddie DeBartolo Jr. – The former owner of the 49ers from 1977 until 2000, when he passed control of the team to his sister Denise York . In that time he also became one of the most well-respected owners in football.